Tiramisu: The Delicate, Tasty, and Trendy Italian Dessert


Do you know the Italian dessert, Tiramisu? 

It is a creamy no-bake classic layered with espresso-soaked ladyfingers, mascarpone cream, and a soft dusting of cocoa.

Just looking at it, you can think it must be difficult to make. Not at all~!

What is Tiramisu?

Tiramisu is one of Italy’s most beloved desserts, famous for its delicate layers, creamy texture, and unforgettable balance of coffee, cocoa, and mascarpone. 

In Korea, it is most beloved dessert, however, my husband didn't know it until I introduced it to him. Although it looks luxurious, tiramisu is a no-bake dessert, making it surprisingly approachable for home cooks.

Devilish taste

I often cook Tiramisu for my church potluck. Koreans tend to skip dessert or eat fruit instead. So, sometimes when I visit my Korean church with my father-in-law, he complains poor selection of dessert 😥

My church is very conservative Seventh Day Adventist Church, the church doesn't welcome coffee. So, whenever I bring Tiramisu, I said I brought a devilish, but fantastic dessert. 👿

What makes tiramisu special is its harmony of textures and flavors. The combination of strong espresso, alcohol, creamy mascarpone cheese and dusting cocoa gives complex taste and richness without feeling heavy. 

Classic Tiramisu Recipe

Ingredients (4-5 servings)

·        24–30 ladyfingers, or any soft types of bread. I used lemon flavored loaf cake. 

·        1/2 cups strong brewed coffee or espresso, cooled

·        1 cup mascarpone cheese

·        2/3 cup heavy fresh cream

·        1/3 cup sugar (I used powder sugar)

·        1 teaspoon vanilla extract

·        Unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting

·        Optional: 1–2 tablespoons coffee liqueur or Marsala wine or rum or brandy

Preparation

1.     Prepare the coffee and let it cool completely. Stir in the liqueur or Marsala wine if using. 

     I just used instant coffee grain with hot water. Mixed 2 teaspoon of coffee grain with 2 table spoon of hot water. 

     Add alcohol into the melted coffee. Decide amount how strong you want.  




2.     In a mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla until soft peaks form.

3.     Gently fold the mascarpone into the whipped cream until the mixture is smooth and creamy.

     I added yolk, but you can skip this. For convenience, I put everything together into a blender from the beginning and blend them until it gets hard enough. 

  




4.     Quickly dip each ladyfinger into the cooled coffee. Do not soak them too long, or they may become too soft. I couldn't find ladyfinger, I used lemon cake instead. Damp the sliced cake with coffee.

         

 

           


5.     Spread half of the mascarpone cream over the top. Add a second layer of dipped ladyfingers and cover with the remaining mascarpone cream.


                                     

  


6     Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight, so the flavors can blend and the dessert can set.

7   Before serving, dust the top generously with unsweetened cocoa powder.  

 





Serving Tips

Serve tiramisu chilled in neat squares or elegant spoonfuls. Pair it with espresso, cappuccino, or a simple cup of tea. Its soft layers and café-inspired flavor make tiramisu perfect for dinner parties, birthdays, holidays, or any moment that calls for a dessert that feels refined yet comforting.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Lucky Day

My frugal wife

Potatoes